Sunday, January 16, 2011

On the evolution of furniture in my apartment

So, I've gradually been adding furniture to my apartment. When I first arrived, I bought two folding chairs from the Ace Hardware here in town (it is an amazing Ace Hardware store). My mom also bought me a lawn or patio type chair from Ace Hardware, because whe wanted something soft to sit on for the few days that she was here (yes, the chair had removable cushions). I also bought a table to match my folding chairs at WalMart. I obtained a TV/DVD combo from the classifieds section of a local website, and my table promptly became my entertainment center. I also bought an air mattress to sleep on.

Fast forward a few weeks. I was pretty much using the lawn chair for all of my sitting needs, and I decided, "What if someone comes to visit me? Where will they sit? I can't make them sit in folding chairs. That is not very hospitable." So, I decided to visit the local furniture store to look for some comfortable seating for possible guests (visiting teachers, home teachers, etc.). I think I actually visited the store somewhere like a hundred times, and each time I visited, my favorite couch was different. None of them seemed quite right, but I quickly fell in love with a red rocker recliner. It was so comfortable, so I knew that I had to have it. But, I was still undecided on a couch. I had the sales lady but the red chair on hold for me, and promised to come back the next day to purchase the chair and a couch. (I was deciding between to different couches, but couldn't make up my mind). I showed up the next day, and randomly decided to by a completely different couch. I pretty much use the couch for my bed these days.

So, for those keeping track, I was up to 7 (count them...7) seats in my little apartment. I was using a table for a TV stand, sitting in the red chair, using the couch for a bed, and using the folding tables for end tables. And my favorite cushioned chair from Ace? It was relegated to my bedroom, which isn't really used as a bedroom. Just in case I wanted to sit in this room I rarely visit, I guess.

After Christmas, I decided to make some changes. The storage containers were on sale at WalMart (and Ace as well, I found out too late). I absolutely love storage containers...and towels (but that is a completely different topic). I bought a large 50 gallon rolling tote, which became my Christmas decoration, etc. storage container and also doubled as my TV stand. My table was now free to be... well... a table. I also bought a little rolling cart with three drawers storage container to be my end table. Now my folding chairs could sit at my table. I even bought a re table cloth for my table, so that it would match the other decor in the room. I thought I was set for a while... but then...

I saw an ad on the local website advertising a 100% wood pine table for sale, with matching chairs. "Well, what can it hurt to send an e-mail asking for pictures?" I thought to myself. "I probably won't like it anyway." I'm actually kinda picky when it comes to furniture. And then, in response, I received an e-mail with this picture in it.


I loved it. I thought the woodwork was beautiful! I wasn't the biggest fan of the rush grass seats, but for the price they wanted, I figured the table and chairs were a pretty good deal, and I could live with the seats (they're actually much more comfortable than I thought they would be). I decided to buy the table. So many dining room sets I saw in the furniture store just looked kind of cheap, or small, and they usually cost more, and well, I just wasn't satisfied with any of them. I was looking for something more like what my Grandma Gardner used to have. Well, this isn't like her table was, but it is solid, and (at least in my opinion) beautiful and timeless. The local Elders' Quorum was nice enough to help out with transporting it.

And almost a week later, I'm still not regretting my decision (which is a big thing for me). I spend a few minutes each day admiring it's beauty. I'm glad I bought the table.

As you can see, the set has five chairs (I know, a little weird, usually sets have 4 or 6 chairs... apparently the seller's son broke the 6th chair). So, add the 5 to the 7 and you get 12. That means 12 seats for one person. I have not had any visiting or home teachers come by yet, but when they do come, there will be plenty of seats for them to choose from. And now I feel like I can invite people over for a proper dinner. Maybe I can even have a girl's night at my house with the RS ladies watching a movie and/or playing games. The possibilities are endless. I'm excited.

My folding table and matching chairs are now in the kitchen serving as a laundry folding table. Soon, this table will double as a microwave cart so I can free up some counter space.

And yes, my couch still doubles as a bed... I don't really see that changing anytime soon...

If I remember, I'll have to post pictures of some of my other furniture. I think it will make the blog a bit more interesting. Add a little color. You know what I mean?

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooh, I love the table! It looks great in your space too. I'm all for more pictures. I'm glad you seem to like your apartment, even if you don't use all of the space. :)

Moo said...

Wow! A new blog post! Very nice table! You could even do a puzzle on the table or some other thing that takes up large amounts of space.

Mary said...

Fantastic! I can't believe that you have chairs that actually match the table. I'm not quite there yet, but can you imagine a table with 9 matching chairs? Too confusing. I'd really like to take a virtual tour of your apartment with all of its new furniture.

Beee said...

I would personally like to take a real tour of your apartment, but I don't think that will happen for me. .. .but I would LOVE to visit you someday.
Since I can not see it in person, I second your mom's idea of a virtual tour. I guess maybe we should skype or something. I got some new furniture too. . .second had also. I love the table and chairs!

Marissa said...

Yea for furniture! I think the table is nice too.